Saturday 13 April 2013

Geocaching


Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall





I am linking up with Fiona from Country Kids From Coombe Mill, which is all about getting outside with the kids and having fun! That is something we love doing here and try and get out on a regular basis.

Saturday 13th April 2013

I have got a new obsession. I only discovered it this week and already I am hooked.
Geocaching. Treasure hunting at its best.

I registered on the web page and downloaded the free app to my phone and got searching. I cannot believe how many caches there are around where we live! So on Wednesday, armed with the GPS on my phone, Ben and I set off to find our very first cache.


 We strolled along the brook, enjoying the sunshine.

 We played Pooh sticks.

 Baby came too!

 When we got to the area highlighted on my phone we read the description and looked at the clue again. We were definately looking for a tree, but which one??? A quick SOS text to a friend, along the lines of "what are we looking for?!" and then...

 We found it!!! In the hollow base of a tree, just where we had been looking! We made sure no muggles or four legged muggles were around and brought it out. It was a little plastic tub containing a log book and pecil, which we filled in, some coins, toy car, some old concert tickets and a few other bits and bobs. Ben chose a coin and we put in a stripy rubber in exchange, then carefully put it back just as we had found it. Excellent!

 So that's it. I am hooked and have spent the last couple of nights looking all over the country at where we can go caching!

This afternoon we set off again in the other direction with Megan and Mr W. The weather wasn't great so we wrapped up and took waterproof coats. We had ear marked three micro caches to look for. At our first one we had no luck, the clue didn't help us and we gave up after a bit of searching. On our way to the next one we met some fellow cachers who gave us a hint about where to look for the first cache.

We all got the caching bug and instead of just looking for the three we had picked, we ended up searching for seven! Out of those seven we found five which I think was great considering how small four of them were!



 Our first find of the day!


 Searching and searching...

 We found this hidden really well under the moss. This one had little bits in so the children swopped some little trinkets.

If you like the outdoors and having a bit of a ramble, give this a go, trust me, you will be as hooked as us!


7 comments:

  1. This sounds like a fantastic idea! i am going to look at this tomorrow in more detail

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of this before but never actually done it, looks like so much fun and I can imagine it would get addictive!
    Over from Country Kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have yet to give this a go but I think it is a brilliant way to get children interested in country walks, who wouldn't want to find some berried treasure? Thank you for sharing how it works on Country Kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to do some geocaching. There's quite a few near us as well - just need to wait til N is old enough to go out without having the back up of a buggy

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohh this looks great I am off to google and find out more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't wait to give this ago too.. so last weekend we went out hunting and loved it - I blogged and linked back to you here! http://thisisme-sarahmumof3.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/outdoor-treasure-hunt-geocaching.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great time - we have only done it with the Gromits so far.

    ReplyDelete